SWVA Kale, tomato Hoecake Sammy
Author: Charles “Chaz” Parker, Chef
Serves: 1 sandwich
This fully loaded local sandwich is bursting with local flavor - with everything from local chicken to pork belly, most ingredients in this sandwich can be found form just about any farmer in Southwest Virginia. If you just can't wait to make this sammy yourself, pop into Heartwood in Abingdon while this is on their summer lunch menu.
- 4oz Kale (Moyer Family Farms)
- 3oz smoked pulled chicken (chicken from My Shepherd's Farms)
- 2oz uncured bacon/pork belly (Fore farms)
- 2oz diced onion (from almost any farm in SWVA)
- 2oz seasoned mayo (just regular mayonnaise, seasoned with a pinch of salt&pepper and a half teaspoon of paprika)
- Sliced summer fresh tomato
For the Hoecakes
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal (White's Mill),
- 1/2 cup self rising flour, 1 large cage-free egg (Bullen Family farms)
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar,
- 1/2 cup buttermilk,
- 1/8 cup bacon grease (use bacon from Fore farms)
- 1/8 cup water, and oil/butter for frying.
For the hoecakes, mix all ingredients well. Preheat saute pan over medium heat and add oil/butter. Drop 2 tablespoons of hoecake batter for each cake (this recipe will make around 8). Fry the hoecakes approx 2min on each side then transfer to paper towels. For the kale, roughly chop/dice the bacon/pork belly and fry it, along with the onion, in a medium stock pot. After remove large or bulky stems
After removing large or bulky stems from the kale, add it to the stock pot and continue cooking over medium heat for 6 minutes. Now lets assemble! Spread your seasoned mayo on one side of 2 hoecakes. Pile your kale and smoked chicken on top of one of the mayo'ed hoecakes, place sliced tomato and then finish with the other mayo'ed hoecake. Final step (and possibly the most important) ENJOY!